SANS GPEN Certified

A few of weeks ago I took SANS 560 Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking course. It was an awesome course and I had a lot of fun completing the exercises and practical. I gave myself a week to study for the exam and scheduled the GIAC GPEN exam for the following Monday.  I studied a couple of hours each night trying to finish at least one of the 5 books a night. When the day came I felt ready. The exam is open book so I took all my materials in the event I couldn't remember something and had to look it up. I scored an 87% and was extremely happy having passed the exam. There were a few questions I had to look up but not many so I feel comfortably that I know the material.

For anyone looking to taking the GIAC GPEN I have a few recommendations. Take the course, whether that is live, online or by some other means that SANS offers as I feel it is well worth it. Prior to the exam give yourself a few hours each night to study at least one section at a time and re-read the parts you don't get. I've heard of people making the really extravagant cheat sheets or lookup tables but I didn't feel they are worth it. If you work in the area that you are testing for you should at least know 60-70% of the material in my opinion. Maybe some people need them as they don't test well so decide for yourself if that is something you want to do. Make sure you read the all the information in the books as it is all testable material. And finally good luck to those that take.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And now for something completely different...

Testing Joomla for CVE-2015-8562

Been awhile hasn't it.